Would you like to set up your own business from home and make jewelry yourself? Then start your own business and turn your hobby into your profession. You can give workshops, give children’s parties, sell loose beads and related items, sell handmade jewelry, attend fairs and give home parties.
How do you start?
First, of course, you need to learn the techniques used for jewelry making. That is why it is best to first follow workshops in the various techniques yourself. Then you can immediately see how a workshop is given and whether you would like to do this yourself.
Chamber of Commerce and Tax Authorities
If you want to start your own business, you must register with the Chamber of Commerce and the Tax Authorities. You can visit the Chamber of Commerce to register. You can request and complete a starting business form for the Tax Authorities. You will also have to keep accounts. With Excel you can create a simple overview of your income and expenses. Think about the name you want to give your company.
Purchasing beads and related materials
Nothing is more fun than shopping for beads. You can do this via the internet or you can visit the wholesalers in person. A number of wholesalers also have a stand in the Trade Center in Utrecht. Visit the wholesaler yourself
- The advantage of measuring yourself is that you can view the materials up close and compare quality.
- The downside is that it takes a lot of time and gasoline.
Buy from wholesalers via the internet
- The advantage is that you can order from the comfort of your home at a time that suits you.
- The disadvantage is that you cannot properly assess the quality of the materials.
It is best to visit a wholesaler the first time. You can then view the collection and quality up close. Next time you can order from that wholesaler via the internet. Sometimes you are approached by a (new) wholesaler and then they come by. That is of course also useful, does not cost you much time and you can view the materials.
Practice, practice and practice again
If you want to give workshops, you must be able to make jewelry yourself very well and you cannot learn that by making a few necklaces. You must be able to make different models using all the different techniques. Of course, your students should have something to choose from. By making a number of chains yourself you will notice that you become more and more adept at it. Your collection of necklaces in different techniques and colors will grow quickly. You can get ideas via the internet to start designing nice jewelry yourself
Throwing home parties
If you have created a collection of jewelry, you naturally want to earn money from it. You can do this, among other things, by giving home parties.
How do you handle that?
- You invite a number of acquaintances, friends, neighbors and relatives to your home (make nice invitations with the name of your company on it). You can ‘practice’ your first party on them and the goodwill factor is very high.
- Display your jewelry nicely on the table (jewelry looks best on a black surface).
- Keep 1 piece of jewelry separate from each technique (for example: strung, crocheted, chained, suede lace, flat stones).
- Make coffee and tea with something tasty.
- Once everyone has something to drink, you can start.
- First you tell us something about your own company, how you got here.
- The jewelry you had kept aside now appears.
- For each piece of jewelry you tell something about the materials and technique you used, you can also pass the chain around. Since you are of course proud of your handmade jewelry, you will talk about it enthusiastically. You will see this again when your guests start ordering.
- You can mention that they can come and follow a workshop with you and that you organize children’s parties, possibly with an explanation of what they can expect.
- Guests can then view and try on the necklaces themselves. In the meantime you can give advice.
- Of course you can make jewelry in a different color on request, or make existing jewelry smaller or larger.
- It is guaranteed that you will sell jewelry this evening and have been able to make appointments for the next party and to give a workshop, the ball has now started rolling.
You can give the hostess a gift in the form of, for example, a colorful, handmade key ring with all kinds of charms on it.
The maximum number of people depends on how much space you have at the table (in any case, do not exceed 8 people). You must have a stock of materials to allow your students to make a choice in terms of price, color and material. You should also have a basting board and tongs for everyone. You can distinguish between 2 workshops.
- A one-off workshop with a closed group (friends, colleagues), where they can choose from a number of models during a workshop.
- A course of 4 workshops, in which several (unknown) people can register. Each time a different technique is discussed (threading, knitting, jasseron and crocheting).
- Possibly a follow-up course of 4 workshops where other techniques are learned (watch making, metal plates with flat stones, ring stringing and suede lace).
Throwing a children’s party is also great fun. You can do this at your own home or you can go to the birthday boy or girl. You can throw parties for children from 6 to 10 and from 10 to 13 years old. Depending on the age group, you make a children’s chain. For the little ones a leather lace with strung beads and for the teenagers a jasseron necklace. You then make the chain step by step together.
Bead box for a successful children’s party at the birthday boy or girl’s home
You can also make a bead box, which contains all the materials and sample chains to lend out. When the coffin is collected (usually by the mother), go through the materials so that the mother knows what is in the suitcase (also include a materials list). The explanation for making the necklace is on paper, go through this with the mother so that she is not faced with any surprises later.
Attend trade fairs
Jewelry fairs are regularly organized. You can register for this and rent a stall. Such a fair is always fun and enjoyable. You meet many colleagues and you can gain new ideas yourself.
Experience shows that word-of-mouth advertising works best through acquaintances, parties and workshops. You can place an advertisement in a local newspaper to see if there is a response.
In this day and age, having your own website as a company is indispensable. This also applies to the bead world. You can create a simple website yourself, where you can post information. You can also offer chains and loose material for sale via your own website. Of course you can outsource the professional creation of your own website.
Set up a corner in your living room or a separate room
If you are going to give workshops, you must have some space to accommodate your students and your materials. If you are just starting out, you could set up a corner in your living room for your small business, not too far from the table where you want your students to sit. If you are a bit further along, you could consider setting up a separate room (for example the utility room, garage or garden shed). Here you can give your own atmosphere to your own company. Private and business will then become more separated.
Creative, enthusiastic and enterprising?
Anyone who is creative, enthusiastic and enterprising can start this up and generate a nice income.