Airmiles is perhaps the best-known and most popular savings system in the Netherlands. Millions of people have that blue card in their wallet and dutifully hand it over at some stores. But where do you get airline miles and what can you save for? The air miles program has been active in the Netherlands since 1994. It was the first national savings system in which several stores participated. The basis of the air miles system is the blue savings card, which you have scanned with every purchase in participating stores. The more you buy in stores, the more airline miles you earn.
Which companies give you airline miles and how much
In 2010, there are thirteen stores participating in the air miles savings program. How many airline miles you get for a certain amount varies per store.
- Albert (the online delivery service of Albert Heijn, Gall & Gall and Etos) – On AH products you receive 1 airline mile for each own brand product. On Gall & Gall and Etos products you get 1 airline mile for every 2 euros.
- Albert Heijn – you receive 1 airline mile for every AH own brand product.
- Cruise Travel – you receive 1 airline mile for every 2 euros you spend with this cruise specialist.
- Lotto – 500 one-time airline miles if you sign up to automatically play the Lotto every month.
- Dixons – you receive 1 airline mile for every 2 euros you spend at this electronics store.
- Eden City Hotels – you receive 1 airline mile for every 2 euros you spend at one of the seventeen hotels.
- Eto s – 1 airline mile for every 2 euros
- Gall & Gal l – 1 airline mile for every 2 euros
- Landa l – 1 airline mile for every 2 euros
- Pharos Reizen – 1 airline mile for every 2 euros
- Praxis – 1 airline mile for every 2 euros
- Shell – 1 mile for every 2 liters of fuel
- V&D – 1 airline mile for every 2 euros
In addition to these shops, there are various online shops that participate permanently or temporarily in the air miles savings program, such as Albelli photo books, plane tickets from Cheaptickets and mobile phones from Belcompany . You will find a current overview on the airmiles website.
Redeem airline miles
You can register your air miles card on the air miles website. You can then view your current balance online at any time. Here you will also find an overview of the gifts and activities you can save for. To give you an idea of how many airline miles you need for a specific gift or discount on a gift, you will find a number of examples below:
- A set of six champagne glasses for 1499 airline miles
- An entrance ticket to the Efteling for 2900 air miles
- A parasol for 5495 airline miles
- A Giant bicycle for 15,000 airline miles + 349.00 additional payment
- A fully catered overnight stay in a Wellness hotel for 2 people for 19,800 airline miles
Tips to earn more airline miles
- Keep an eye on the bonus miles promotions of the participating companies
- Give your second airline miles pass (you will receive it as standard) to your partner, child, parents or colleague and ask if he/she wants to save for you
- Regularly check the overview of participating online stores on the airmiles site
- Forgotten your Airmiles pass? Ask the seller to make a note on your receipt so that the airline miles can be credited next time